Chemco is looking to hire an experienced senior civil estimator based out of our Nisku head office, with potential mobilization to project locations upon the award of successful bids. Experience estimating and managing civil earthworks projects is necessary, as the primary scopes involve site preparation, road construction, rail construction, and industrial earthworks. The successful candidate will have the ability to work both independently and within a team, have strong communication skills, and a high level of attention to detail.
Chemco is a Western Canadian general contractor specializing in multi-disciplinary construction including civil earthworks, rail, hydrovac, directional drilling, electrical, instrumentation, rig matting, and electrical engineering. We are a progressive company that supports all individuals in both professional and personal development.
Chemco is a proud supporter of the below programs, and strives to provide equal opportunities for all individuals in the construction and related industries:
- Trade Winds to Success
- Helmet to Hardhats
- Women Building Futures
- Pre-Apprenticeship Training (PACT Program)
If you are a self-starter motivated to make a career within our performance culture, apply in confidence.
Experience and Education
- 10+ years of experience in civil earthworks construction
- 5+ years estimating and managing projects over $5,000,000.
- Experience leading a team through the bid process for various civil projects
- Registration or eligibility for registration as a C.E.T., P. Tech, or P. Eng is an asset, but not required.
Required Skills and Knowledge
- Proficient with Microsoft Office
- Familiar with relevant building codes and industry best practices
- Hands-on experience on civil construction projects
- Ability to assemble accurate, timely, and well organized estimates
- Ability to prioritize work and manage time on multiple concurrent bids
- Able to communicate clearly via email, online meetings, and in person
- Ability to manage a team of 5-10 direct reports on a civil construction project
Preferred Skills and Knowledge
- Experience with linear transportation infrastructure
- Experience and knowledge in change management and project controls
- Proficient with Bluebeam Revu and Primavera P6
- Highly skilled with Excel, including Power Query
- Experience with material procurement
- Familiarity with contract law
- Industrial Construction Crew Supervisor certification
- Reports to the director of estimating
- Create and lead project proposals including:
- Reviewing project scope of work, drawings, specs, standards, and other documents
- Performing civil takeoff of drawings and bills of material
- Applying labour and equipment hours and costs
- Compiling material lists for procurement
- Creating project execution plans
- Determining project staff and equipment
- Creating project schedules
- Engaging vendors and subcontractors
- Coordinating proposal reviews with stakeholders
- Mentor more junior staff
- Estimate change orders for current projects
- Site visits as required during the bid phase and adhering to site-access requirements.
- Manage or assist with management of successful proposals from Chemco’s Nisku office, Location Cats’ St. Paul regional office, or at site locations as required.
- Regularly office-based at the Chemco head office – 3135 4th Street, Nisku, AB
- 7:30 AM to 4:00 PM, Monday to Friday, with 30-minute unpaid lunch
Compensation and Benefits
- Permanent full-time position
- Competitive hourly wage based on experience (range between $50.00/hr to $70.00/hr, plus 10% vacation/stat holiday pay)
- Company RRSP contribution after completion of 90-day probationary
- EBFA Health and Welfare Plan, including vision, dental, prescription, and life insurance. For full details visit http://www.ebfa.ca/Pages/H&WPlan.html.
We thank all candidates for applying, but only those that are being considered for this position will be contacted.